Chastidy Heath - Reservations Manager
Public or Private Destination: Public Destination
Type of Shoots: rifle
Game/Birds Offered: pheasant, chukar, quail
Gun Dogs: Available
Other Hunting/Sporting Opportunities: Whitetail Deer, Spring Gobbler, Fly Fishing
Shooting Sportsman Magazine 2012 - Pheasants Over Primland
The wild game sport hunting program at our Virginia hunting resort has been developed to be totally sustainable. Sport hunting is a tool supervised by Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries wildlife biologists to control populations of certain game species. High populations of animals such as deer negatively impact the species composition of native vegetation through their selective grazing. Our local deer population is among the healthiest in the state.
Children may hunt at Primland with no minimum age, although the young hunter must have the strength and maturity to handle a gun. Usually this is around the age of ten, although Primland’s safety policy requires any guest younger than 18 may only hunt with a parent or adult guardian.
For more information about our hunting programs, please download our hunting brochure and rate cards. We are an affiliate of Hunters for the Hungry.
5-Stand Clays Shooting
Five-stand incorporates the best of skeet, trap and sporting clays into a field game that is fun and challenging. Each shooter attempts five targets from each of five stations for a twenty-five shot round. Five-stand is an excellent warm-up game for hunters and clay shooters since the level of difficulty can be adjusted and since it requires considerably less time than fifty and one hundred sporting clays courses.
- Shooting lessons can be arranged with notice.
- Loaner guns and ammunition are available at the South Gate Reception.
- Children under age 18 must be accompanied by supervising adult.
The Highland Course was designed with both pleasure and challenge in mind.
Highlights of the Blue Ridge Mountain golf course include:
- Closely cut areas around greens provide many short game options.
- Use of bent grass gives the golfer fast surfaces, and fescue grasses add challenge and a contrast of color.
- A 145 slope measurement attests to the course’s degree of difficulty, and the rating of 74.6 strokes confirms it.
- Bio-filters are strategically placed around the golf course to protect the natural trout streams and rivers that originate within and surround Primland.
- Wetlands around the course remain untouched and are treated as environmentally sensitive areas.
- Electric golf carts are available and recommended.
- Use of the driving range and practice greens are complimentary for guests of The Lodge and Fairway Cottages